In accordance with the Private School Act B.E. 2550 (2007) and the amended Private School Act (No. 2) B.E. 2554, United World College Thailand has an Executive Board (“Board”) comprised of no more than eight members. These members consist of a minimum of: the Licensee, School Manager, School Director, a current parent, a current teacher and at least one, but not more than, three qualified person(s) as members or “experts”.
UWCT is a not-for-profit school. In accordance with Thailand’s educational licensing, the Nursery school is licensed under Banyapura Ltd., while the Preschool 1 to Grade 12 programme is licensed under UWCT. This division is for legal purposes only; in practise the school operates as a single unit and the Board oversees both entities.
The role of the Board is to be forward-thinking so as to safeguard the long-term viability of the school through strategic, financial, legal and reputational oversight and management. The Board also has responsibility for hiring, managing and firing the Head of School; all other staffing decisions are made by the Head of School. The Board is not involved in the day-to-day operations of the school.
The Head of School meets with the Board’s Executive Committee (Chair plus other required members) at least once every two weeks and the entire Board meets at least four times per year. Members are appointed for a term of three years and terms are renewable.
The Executive Board is currently comprised of the following members:
- Klaus Hebben | Chair and Founder
- Kanok Chupak | School Director | School Manager | Licence Holder’s Representative
- Julian Whiteley | Expert (Education)
- Christoph Berger | Parent Member
- Netipong Wichitwechkarn | Expert (Legal)
- Jan Boontinand | Expert (UWC Alum and Thai National Committee Member)
- Jessica Beloded | Teacher Member
The Board also includes several ex officio, non-voting members including:
- Philipp Graf Von Hardenberg | President/CEO Thanyapura
- Jason McBride | Head of School
- Diogo / Preethika | Student Members
To review the School Board’s Governance Policy, please click here.